Monday, April 25, 2022

T Stands for Earth Day Adventure

"For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: 25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you." 1 Peter 1:24-25 KJV


 Hello readers!  I celebrated Earth Day, this past Friday, by being outside and enjoying God's creation.  I looked up ways to celebrate, and this wasn't exactly on the list, but it is what I did.  I enjoyed a three mile walk in a local park called Swanson Park.  I read the signs as I walked through.  I saw cardinals, ducks, deer, and dogs (with their humans).  I enjoyed visiting with a few people as we passed, and because I took a photo of two of the dogs.  I even found two letterboxes.  I thought I would share a little of my walk and even a scrap page of the event.  

The park is named after Simon Peter Swanson (1886-1974), who was known as a conservationist.  His father, Nels, homesteaded on 160 acres of land in 1874-part of which became Swanson Park.  This tract of land was designated a Wichita Wild Habitat area and was acquired in 1975 by Swanson Park.  I took a photo of the sign, but the birds bombed it and you can't read it, so I tried to give you above the same info.

The sign below states Cowskin Creek changes directions 11 times in Swanson Park.  It is twice as long as it would be if it went in a straight line.





Now photos of the actual walk!






  
I sat on a bench, but not sure it this was the one.  There are several throughout the walk.



And here are the letterboxes I found.  If you don't know what a letterbox is, I encourage you to check the link on my side bar: Atlas Quest.  You find the boxes following the clues given on the website, stamp in their book, stamp in your book with the stamp in the box, and re-hide for the next person to find by following the same clues. 


Here are two of the dogs that I saw.  I stopped and visited with the owners so I could get the dogs names & breed.  The back one is Kiwi and he is a Shepherd/Border Collie. The black & white one is Harley Q and he is a Sheepadoodle.  Isn't he so pretty?


And me!

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Swanson Park, even as windy as it was. I even documented my day on a scrapbook layout.





I have been scrapbooking Christmas photos & ran across this photo of one of our Scrabble games.  This is my ticket to the TSFT Party this week over at Altered Book Lover with Bleubeard & Elizabeth. 
  I am so thankful that I am healthy enough to walk, as it is something I really enjoy.  Thanks for following me on my Earth Day walk today.  Thanks for stopping by.  Have a great rest of the week!

17 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon, so glad you brought the camera along on your earth day walk to share with us. Very beautiful park, and thank you for the history. I have never played scrabble, but I was never good with figuring out words.
    Happy T

    ReplyDelete
  2. a lovely park to walk in, and a great way to spend Earth day. I always stop for dogs and love that you got their breeds and names as well- such cute dogs! Never hear of the letterbox thing.
    Wonderful layout and remembrance of your day. happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a great place to walk Sharon. And nice you had your camera to capture all the excitement, like the deer and those cute pups. I think you mentioned letterboxes before. It looks like a fun find. I hope you have a great T day and week ahead. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sharon. I left a comment but I don't think it went through. I'm glad you took photos as it looks like a beautiful walk, and you even got to see a deer and some cute pups. And I think you mentioned letterboxes before. It looks like a lot of fun. I hope you have a wonderful T day and week ahead. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great way to celebrate Earth day! Loved seeing the pictures of your walk.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a very nice walk and I like the scrapbook layout you did about it. The letterboxes sound like geo-caching which we did several years ago when my daughter was much younger. It was fun back then, but I have no idea whether it is still done or not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sharon! Thank you so much for taking us on your walk in your lovely wooded area.. I haven't heard of 'letter boxes' but i have heard of 'geo-caching' I worked at a State Park in Arkansas and we had a geo-cache there.. One time a lady and her children came out of the woods after finding the geo-cache and they were just covered in ticks!!! OMG... they were freaking out and we were trying NOT to freak out... Best thing to get rid of those little seed ticks TAPE! Better than a shower. Never played scrabble but i do love to play board games.. Happy Tday! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to spend Earth Day. And what a perfect way to document it, too. It is a beautiful park and I loved seeing all the flora and fauna you ran into, as well as the cute dogs. BTW, i was on your side of town on Earth Day.

    Goodness, I haven't played scrabble in at least three years. Thanks for sharing it and your tea with us. as well as your walk to Swanson Park for T this almost Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sharon, glad you were able to walk that lovely trail. I love walking and being outside, I just can' walk as fast as I used to. Today I walked along the Rhine, Thanks for sharing the photos, and great to see your smiling face. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad someone else celebrated Earth Day just by enjoying nature and all its creatures! That's what I did too!

    best--- mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a great outing. I am a terrible Scrabble player!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so enjoyed walking with you today, it was so relaxing reading the signs and looking at the sights 😀. You created such fabulous pages too and showcased your photos beautifully, that's such a lovely photo of you too! Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice to see you - and the route you took!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that organic bridge
    Bridget #14

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a beautiful spot to walk. Your scrapbook pages are an awesome memory of a fabulous day. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a fabulous post. I love the walk. It looks very much like Oregon. Great photo of you too. Have a very nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty scrapbook pages! I look forward to taking some walks together!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I really appreciate them.