Monday, April 29, 2019

T Stands For Technique

"He has risen!"  Matt. 28:6

Since Elizabeth wanted to know how I did her birthday card, I thought I would show all of you the technique I used.  It is a Watercolor Stencil Technique that I saw demonstrated by Loll Thompson.  However, I did it in the wrong order when I did the first cards with it, but liked the results better.
Today, I am demonstrating for you, doing it correctly!

First thing is to cut down some watercolor paper and put a stencil over it.  The rest of my sample photos will be with a different stencil.  I just forgot to photograph the other at this stage.  Now, when I made Elizabeth's card, I sprayed water on the stencil, then removed it and sprinkled the powders.  You pretty much get the same result.



However, Loll Thompson said to put powder on while stencil is on and spray with water then quickly remove the stencil.  I think this way is a lot messier than the way I did it!


After you take the stencil off, it looks like this and you will have to heat dry with a heat gun and blot some, too. 


It looks like this after drying.



My stencil was so wet with paint, I decided to turn it over on another piece of watercolor paper and get the reverse!  I just sit it on there and pushed down and then carefully removed the stencil.


So here is the reverse.


Here are all the prints I ended up with. I didn't like the brick as well, but I will use it for a card.  After these are all dry, I will cut down for backgrounds for cards.





Here are the two cards I made last week with them the first backgrounds I made my way: by spraying with water while the stencil was on, then taking off and sprinkling the powders on.

Elizabeth's Birthday Card


Here are the supplies I used besides paper towels to blot and the heat gun to dry.  The Aspen Trees was TCW and the bricks were MFT.


I hope I explained well enough.  If you have any questions, let me know.  I will try to answer or direct you to the Loll Thompson video.  I will say the Color Bursts are messy.  The color spreads when you try to clean it!  Remember the Cat in the Hat and the pink spot.  Well, this is like that, it just keeps growing as you try to clean it!  Last week, I even made a lot of baby wipe backgrounds with all the access color! LOL


For our Tea party over at Altered Book Lover's T Stands For Tuesday, may I leave you with this:

A card I made from mostly Fun Stampers Journey supplies.  the Embossing Folder is SU!.

Sorry everyone for not getting around last week.  I have been really sick and finally went to the dr. last Friday.  I got some meds, and am finally starting to feel human again!  I t seems I had bronchitis. So thank you for all who stopped by last week and offered well wishes.  I really appreciated them.  Thank you for stopping by this week.  I will be around to see you.  Happy T Day!

17 comments:

  1. so fun to play with techniques that give you loose and somewhat unpredictable results! Love your Hug in a Mug card:) Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed seeing how you made those cards. Your card sent to Elizabeth is beautiful! That stencil of the trees is one I might have to get.
    I hope that you are feeling completely better soon. Bronchitis sounds like the pits.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing how you created my card, Sharon. I appreciate it. I had NO IDEA you started with a stencil, but I sure love my card. Thank you beyond belief and I was SO surprised when you surprised me with the card. Thank you again, dear.

    You certainly got a LOT of wonderful images from that one play time. I've never heard of color bursts, but they are really vibrant colors.

    I really LOVED your Hug in a Mug card. It's adorable, and I loved the texture and layering, too. Thanks for sharing how you made my card and thanks for the Hug card you shared with us for T this almost Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the card you made for Elizabeth. The tree background is amazing, actually all of them are in their own ways. And perfect card for T also. A hug in a mug is a great saying. I wish you a hug in a mug for T. Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are gorgeous. I'm going to look for some stencils, as I'm quite taken with what you ended up with here.

    I've had bronchitis and can sympathize. I hope the meds work quickly and that you're fully well soon. Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely card with an interesting technique. Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was good to see the stages you followed when creating the beautiful card.
    I nearly always spray stencils after their first use and add them to what I call mop up pages.
    I hope you will be feeling better soon.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for showing the process! i absolutely love it! the birch stencil is such a great one.
    happy t-day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cards are lovely. Thank you for showing the steps you used, to make them. I'm glad the medicine is making you feel better. Bronchitis is rough. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sharon, what a great card and I love all the stenciled pieces, even the one where you pressed the wet stencil to get the paint off looks good. I will have to give that a try as I have that stencil!!
    Pleased you are feeling better, Have a great week
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing the how-to, Sharon. The results are beautiful - each one unique. I love how you used the reverse of the sprayed stencil too. Waste not; want not ;-)

    Very cute card for T. I'm so glad you saw a doctor and are doing better.

    Happy T-day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sharon, its good to meet you. i love the techniques you used and all three cards are fabulous. I also have joined the T gang today and am looking forward to having new friends. Please follow me back if you can. June x

    ReplyDelete
  13. You got great results using both techniques. And clever of you to reverse print and not waste the paint. A cuppa feels just like that. A hug in a cup. Happy T Day. Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fabulous technique! The resulting images are stunning, I think I'll have to give this a try 😀. The colours you used and the unicorn image truly makes it magical too - I love it! I'm just having a lovely cup of cinnamon orange tea, it's definately a hug in a mug ...lol 😉. Thanks for the inspiration and wishing you a very happy T Day! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how you made your cards - I love the colours you used! I love turning my stencils over in my journals! Your hug in a mug card is wonderful! Belated Happy T day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have just been made aware that my comments this week have not got through. I don't know why. I'm really sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, this is interesting. I've tried Loll's way and you're right - it's really, REALLY messy and a bit hit and miss for colour. Yours seems to work far better - thank you for the inspiration. I'll have to try this now, he, he ;-) I love experiments and techniques - that's what drew me to stamping and kept me hooked for such a long time. Blessings.
    Cath x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I really appreciate them.